Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Robert B. Parker, 1933-2010

One of my favorite authors, Robert B. Parker, was found dead this morning at his Cambridge, Massachusetts home.  According to news accounts, Parker, age 77, was found by his wife, slumped over his writing desk.

Parker wrote over 50 novels, 37 of which starred Boston PI Spenser. Other series included the Jesse Stone mysteries, some of which were made into t.v. movies starring Tom Selleck, and the Sunny Randall series.

I liked his books for their well-plotted mysteries and the consistency of his books. Although tending to be a tad formulaic, fans could count on Spenser to speak with a directness that was endearing, even if his girlfriend,  psychologist Susan Silverman, was a neurotic pain in the neck. Perhaps my favorite character, though, was Spenser's sidekick Hawk, whose supreme coolness was unmatched in the mystery world.

Parker has long been a mainstay of the mystery world, and I'm so sad that he's gone.


2 comments:

  1. I discovered Robert Parker in the early '80s. I started the Spenser series reading them in order. I did suffer a lapse and need to renew my efforts. The tales did help pass time during surveillance down time. He will be missed. DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone heard anything about Robert Harris' new title "Conspirata?" I have enjoyed his earlier works. DB

    ReplyDelete