Saturday, May 29, 2010

Summer Reading--Suggestions, Anyone?

So one of my fans posted his list of his planned summer reading and asked me what was on my list. (Click on the "comments" link under the posting for Strip to read his posting.)

I just finished The Girl who Played with Fire, by Stieg Larsson, and I'm planning to read The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I have to say that I don't totally love this series--I think it would have been stronger with better editing, and I'm not sure why the series is as popular as it is. I'm not even sure why I'm continuing to read the trilogy, except that I hate leaving things half done. I plan to blog about the series when I've finished Hornet's Nest.I actually find the drama surrounding Stieg Larsson to be as interesting as the books themselves.

The other mysteries stacked up on my "possible reads" shelf include:

The Big Bang, by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $25).  Mike Hammer and the lovely Velda take on the NYC drug trade. Outlined by Spillane in the 60s and finished by Max Allan Collins, one of the most versatile and talented writers to come down the pike. 


So Cold the River, by Michael Koryta (Little, Brown; $24.99). A filmmaker visiting begins having hallucinations that pull him into the evil history of a small town.

The Taken, by Inger Ash Wolfe (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $25). Detective Inspector Hazel Micallef's latest case, a body in a tourist-area lake, focuses on the dangers of obsessive love.

The Whisperers, by John Connolly (Atria Books; $26): Private detective Charlie Parker investigates a band of former soldiers involved in a nefarious smuggling operation.

Damaged, by Alex Kava (Doubleday; $24.95): FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell's latest hunt for a killer puts her in the path of a hurricane.

Blood Oath, by Christopher Farnsworth (Putnam; $24.95). Although I have sworn not to read any vampire or zombie stories, now that they are so annoyingly, unimaginatively ubiquitous, I may relent on this one, since it's a political thriller about the president's vampire.


1 comment:

  1. Summer List:
    I would include Castle Freeman's "Go With Me" on any summer list. Set in rural Vermont, it is not so much a mystery as a tale of justice. Freeman writes convincingly about the dynamics of life beneath postcard New England. This is a novella and can be read in a sitting. So chunk out some time on the back deck and enjoy a trip to a Vermont visitors don't see. Silver Fox "Vampires!"..... say it ain't so.

    ReplyDelete